For a while now I have been work on a new Java Game engine that I like to call the MythEngine. The idea for the engine came about as I was trying to fix a collision error in Teleporta. Despite fixing the issue I noticed an annoying ghosting effect, after a day or so of attempting to fix this bug I decided that it was time to start a fresh. So with this in mind I’m going to spend awhile writing a fully object orientated, re-usable engine that I will (once it’s at an appropriate level) port Teleporta to. I’m trying to focus it around rapid development so that I can quickly develop games for LudumDare and other game jams that will hopefully increase the variety of game genres that I feel comfortable with during these events.
I going to be releasing the engine some when before LudumDare 26 in April, at which point it will be available to who ever wants to use it (provided the appropriate acknowledgements are given). In the meantime I am going to try and be a part of this One Game A Month thing (#1GAM, http://onegameamonth.com/) and so I should be posting further blog entries and updates regarding this in the future.
To start things off I have been working on a (for lack of a better term) Pong-clone called Myth Tennis. This was design purely as an initial prototype for the MythEngine. However, due to not having much time recently to devote to anything but engine programming, I decided to enter this Pong-clone in for the first month of #1GAM, more information here: http://www.onegameamonth.com/Mythalore.
Thanks for reading, Sam.
Follow @Mythalore for more immediate updates.